Winter On The Russian River. Photo: Tom Enderlin

2/23/12

Chrome Road-Trip

On The Road
Some time in early February I realized that the winter steelhead season (my favorite) is coming to an end…I realized that I had not yet made it up to a few famed steelhead rivers on the CA/OR border. I have been hearing stories about massive winter run fish that will take a swung fly like a dog eats a milk bone…I immediately opened my calendar to find that my work season was starting to pick up again (a good thing considering I’m in deep shit as far as money goes)…I found a week where I had no classes to teach and began planning my trip, although as I planned I thought about the nature of winter run steelhead….I thought about this year’s weather and decided it would be best to just pack my spey rod, sink tips, a couple single hand 6wt’s and a whole bunch of warm clothes and fly tying shit and just get in the car and drive…I’m going to go where the fish are for a change…especially the biggest baddest winter run fish I can find. I am going to start on the trinity, cut my teeth on some heavily pressured fish and then drive northwest from there…I’ll be updating the bloooooooooggggg daily so that those of you who find this shit interesting can tune in and waste some time while you’re at work….or don’t! Either way I will be sticking fish on some river in northern California! More updates on the trip over the next week…

1 comment:

  1. I for one hope you find that biggest baddest winter run silver rocket! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete