Winter On The Russian River. Photo: Tom Enderlin

2/19/12

The Hook Set


Here we go…the first post!. The indo went down and I just set the hook ...The virginity of my naive web blog is now gone!

I started this blog with the idea of keeping a journal…a fishing journal, one that I could share with others and look back on too (when I haven’t hooked a fish in weeks). You know: the moral booster that pretty much only showcases the ups in your life – that one long fish induced high. But that was a few months ago. I started with a commitment to write in it all the time, so I guess it’s not much of a surprise that here I am two months later deleting and re-writing the same bullshit, all with reader satisfaction in mind.

Let’s face it…there are more blogs out here in cyberspace than fish in the San Lorenzo river (the dirty fucked up river behind my current residence, I go there to contaminate my wading gear with mudsnails and didymo, practice casting and battle the crusty old guys that still fish out there despite the fact THEY are the ones who fucked it up in the first place. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing, but at least they can't kill the fish out of the water. Instead they can leave that up to their large barbed treble hooks and Redd stomping ignorance). This blog is just another notch in the net for me, another way to keep my mind 100% fish focused all the time. I am not a writer, nor do I consider myself a very artistic or creative guy in the traditional sense. I have flintknapped hundreds of arrowheads, I make my own bows and arrows from scratch, I have tanned hides, built snares and done just about everything that has anything to do with primitive living. I suppose that all requires some modicum of creativity, just not of the Pulitzer Prize winning sort. These days my focus is on fishing…more specifically fly fishing and everything possibly related to fly fishing. I spend 99/9% of my time either fishing, reading about fishing, thinking about fishing, dreaming about fishing or driving to go fishing…the other 1% is devoted to my dog, Boo. He too will love fishing when he is old enough to stop swimming out after me.

So this blog is a way to document my serious fly fishing obsession, From here on out I’ll be writing about all of my adventures and days spent on or off the water, as well as the occasional video post, blog review, gear review, book review and rants on those days I’m so fucking frustrated with the world and how badly we’ve fucked it all up and continue to fuck it harder than she can be safely fucked. (I was going to try my best to keep this bad boy G rated, but I guess it’s a lot harder than it seems. We’ll see!).


Welcome to my world, where your core score goes down every time you buy a fly that you can tie..


No comments:

Post a Comment