Winter On The Russian River. Photo: Tom Enderlin

3/6/12

Chrome Trip- Day two

The Feisty Hen- She gave it hell till the end
Well I’ve clocked about 30 hours of water time in the last 3 days…it was shitty up until today...the weather up here on the Trinity has been way too sunny for the Steelhead and when you combine that with crystal clear water you get spooky chrome-plates that are hanging out as deep as they can to stay out of the Bald Eagles talon’s reach...not very good for swinging flies, which by the way I was doing up until this morning when I realized that the only thing I hate more than fishing for Steelhead under and indo is not catching Steelhead,  soooo I said fuck this and threw on some training wheels…next thing you know I’m hooked up, turns out to be a sea run brown and one of the weirder looking ones at that...It was only about 4 lbs so I let him go without the do it yourself camera/ timer countdown shot, although about an hour or so after the brown I was hooked up again, and this fish was big…at least 15 pounds, the hawg almost spooled me and then broke me off before I could even climb up over the cliff I was fishing below (I almost cried but decided it would be a better use of time and energy to continue fishing) so I took a quick break,  Watched a pair of otters eat a massive Steelhead on a log, changed flies and got back to it...only to hook up on another fish, this time I was prepared and put the heat on her so fast I’m pretty sure I landed her extremely prematurely because she was a feisty one. All in all, it’s been a good trip...first couple of days put winter Steelhead fishing back into perspective (first time I’ve ever gone 0 for 2 on the Trinity) and finally catching a fish felt like a bonus. I had gotten into the mindstate that I should just enjoy my surroundings and live in the moment and when your doing that it’s hard not to have fun. More to come, I’ve got two more full days left on this river and I’m sure something interesting will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment