Winter On The Russian River. Photo: Tom Enderlin

3/31/12

Its been a few days...

This is what I want to be doing come Monday- Photo: Matt Koles
Id like to say Ive been "Busy" and that's why I have strayed from posting but its actually the opposite. I have had nothing but time on my hands...No work, shitty weather (when the rivers are closed...) and the fact that I completely trashed my knee a week ago has made for days of nothing but hope that I can walk and that the flows will drop into place so I can go on my trip...if there is a higher power out there..HELP!!... I have been planning on heading up to Oregon now for a month or more and I was supposed to be on the road today...after talking to my friend up there its looking like the river is way too high to be on the water tomorrow...Fingers crossed that the flows drop (cue higher power) to fish able levels and I can squeeze a few days on the water with the guru of deeply sunk swung flies.

So you might be asking.."Jack..how did you hurt your knee?"..well because it has to do with a fly rod I will go ahead and tell you...I am going to go ahead and break it down...all the way back to the big bang- So It all started when I drove up from Santa Cruz last Tuesday to check out the Fly Fishing Film Tour (F3T), so I came up and decided that Id just stay until it came time for me to head north...well finally I was less than a week away from my trip and so stoked...Because I was going to have a shot at some days on the water I and had nothing to do here in Marin...I went crazy trying to make sure I was all prepped for the trip...so I started by re-waterproofing a bunch of my shells and jackets with Nik-wax...normally id be doing this outside but it had been raining for the better part of a week and was still raining.. so I was forced to waterproof them in my room, I didn't think about the combination of the wax and the hardwood floor...so I went ahead and waterproofed all my shit and went off to do something else... a few hours later my mom then told me that sage sent me a rod and its in my room... I took off running in excitement to open it up and see what it was, of course I ended up slipping on the waterproofing residue that had gotten on the floor, my knee went into the door hinge with all 170lbs of me behind it...I went down immediately and couldn't move my leg, here I am 4 days away from my trip and Im on the ground in the most physical pain ive ever experienced...FUCK...that's all I could think and say...I knew I fucked my knee up bad and my world collapsed around me quick..so here I am... ive been laid up ever since with an icepack and my computer..if you know me at all, you ll know Im horrible at being injured...all I can do is hope that my leg heals and that I get a phone call Tomorrow morning from Scott saying.. "Jack..its on! Get up here!"...cause this morning I had my car packed and got the call that said "river isn't looking good for Sunday..."...normal people would probably be ok with this...But again my world collapsed around me, like a junkie stuck in jail... I am loosing my mind, I need my fix and Steel head fishing has become my life in a matter of 6 months...it went from "Ill fish for it all" to "Steelhead....steelhead....steelhead.."...for me its steelhead 24/7..

No comments:

Post a Comment